Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my tax bill mailing address?

Please complete and print a Change of Address form, sign and date it, and send it to our office.

When are taxes due?

Taxes are due twice a year. The due dates vary slightly from year to year; however, the first half due date is typically in mid to late February, and the second half due date is usually in early August. The exact date will be listed on your semi-annual tax bill. Please click here for the yearly collection timeline.

What payment options are available?

There are several payment options available: cash, check, money order, electronic check, credit card, and debit card. Please click here for details.

Whom should I make my check payable to?

Please make checks payable to Butler County Treasurer.

What is the service fee to pay my taxes by credit/debit card or electronic check?

Electronic payments are processed by Fidelity Information Services (FIS), a service provider for the County.

  • FIS adds a service fee for credit card and debit card use. The fee averages 2.35% with a minimum of $1.95 for all credit card and debit card transactions.
  • There is no service fee for an electronic check payment.

If I mail my payment on the due date is it going to be late?

Payments that contain a United States Postal Service postmark dated on or before the due date are considered timely.

How much penalty will I receive if I do not pay by the due date?

A late payment penalty of 5% is added to past due current year taxes, provided that the balance due is paid in full within the first ten days following the due date. Otherwise, a full 10% penalty is added.

I cannot pay my taxes. Are there any programs available to help me pay my bill?

A Delinquent Tax Contract enables a taxpayer to make monthly payments on their past due taxes. If you are experiencing financial difficulty meeting your tax responsibility, please click here for more information.

What happens if I do not pay my taxes?

If the taxes are not paid within sixty days from the date they are certified delinquent, the property is subject to foreclosure for tax delinquency.

Can I pay my taxes monthly?

Yes. The escrow payment option is for taxpayers would like to prepay their taxes in monthly installments. Please click here for more information.

When will I receive my new escrow coupons?

Escrow coupons will automatically be mailed to enrolled taxpayers after each collection cycle.

Why did my property taxes increase?

Tax rates may increase due to levies that are passed in your district. Your taxes may also increase when there is an increase in the appraised value of your property.

How are my tax dollars distributed?

Please refer to the Annual Tax Distribution on your tax bill. The breakdown is roughly 2/3 to schools, 1/6 to local government, and 1/6 to social services.

How do I appeal the appraised value of my property?

You can file an appeal between January 1 and March 31 of each year. Please click here for further information and an appeal form.

How do I find out how much I paid in real estate taxes for the previous year?

  • If you pay your property taxes through an escrow plan with your mortgage company, the amount withheld will appear on the 1099 form sent to you by your mortgage company.
  • If you do not have financial records of payments you have made for real estate taxes, please call our office at 513-887-3181, option 0 and request this information.

What if I didn’t purchase the property until sometime during the previous year?  Why am I getting a tax bill for the full year?

You should have been credited at the closing for the tax owing for the part of the year you did not own the property. You will need to check your closing documents to verify this fact. If you have any questions regarding your closing, you will need to contact your closing agent. Please understand that real property tax is attached to the real estate and not to the owner.

What is the Homestead Reduction?

The Homestead Exemption allows qualifying homeowners to exempt up to $25,000 of the market value of their home from local property taxes. Qualifying disabled military veterans may exempt up to $50,000 of the market value of their home from local property taxes. Please contact the County Auditor’s Office to find out if you qualify or click here to obtain an application.

How do I apply for the CAUV program?

The Current Agricultural Use Value (CAUV) program allows farmland devoted exclusively to agriculture to be valued based on value in agriculture, rather than the full market value, resulting in a substantially lower tax bill for the working farmer. An initial application may be filed with the Butler County Auditor's Office between the first Monday of January and prior to the first Monday in March of the tax year seeking CAUV valuation. Please click here for more information.

How can I obtain a copy of my deed?

Please click here to contact the Butler County Recorder’s Office.

How do I change the name on a deed?

Please click here to contact the Butler County Recorder’s Office.



Contact Us

315 High Street
10th Floor
Hamilton, OH 45011
Get Directions